Indulge in your favorite Southern comfort foods the veggie way with a Dr. Praeger’s Black Bean and Quinoa Veggie Burger.
½ large yellow onion
½ large red bell pepper
½ large green bell pepper
1 stalk of celery
1 large heirloom or red tomato
1 large jalapeno, core and seeds removed
2 large cloves garlic, smashed
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
½ can kidney beans
½ cup long-grain brown rice
1 ½ cups veggie broth
1 dry bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp Worcestershire
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
Dried minced onion
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Preheat a stock pot over low-medium heat with the olive oil.
- Dice the onion, bell peppers, celery, and tomato. Mince the jalapeno and garlic.
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and celery to the pan with a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Heat the mixture for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomato, jalapeno, garlic, Worcestershire, and all of the spices except for the bay leaf to the pan.
- Stir frequently to prevent burning, and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, brown rice, broth, and bay leaf to the pan. Cover, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Arrange the veggie burgers on a baking sheet.
- Cook until slightly crisp and browned, about 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is tender and has soaked up most of the liquid, the jambalaya is ready. Remove the bay leaf.
- Either dice the veggie burgers and stir into the jambalaya, or place on top of your bowl.
- Sprinkle with toppings of choice, and enjoy!