Vegan Waffle Breakfast Sandwich
Our vegan brunch goals are exceeded with these Root Veggie Hash Brown waffle sliders.
- ½ 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt or regular salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 Dr. Praeger’s Root Veggie Hash Browns, thawed from frozen
- 4 slices vegan bacon
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- ¼ cup vegan cashew cheese, or 4 slices vegan cheese
- Drain the tofu. Use a tofu press to let press out the water for 15-20 minutes. You can also wrap it in several paper towels and place in the sink; place a heavy object (such as a large pot with a heavy weight inside) on top of the tofu to press the water out.
- Cut tofu into four even pieces. In a bowl, add ¼ cup water, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper; stir to combine. Add tofu to bowl and coat with the mixture.
- In a skillet over medium heat, grease with cooking spray. Add tofu; cook 5-7 minutes on each side, until crispy.
- Lightly grease a waffle iron. Add as many hash browns to the iron as possible and carefully close the iron. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until crispy on the outside. Repeat until all hash browns are cooked.
- Place hash browns on a baking sheet; place under the broiler on low for 5-7 minutes, until crispy and firm.
- Cook vegan bacon according to package directions. Cut each piece in half.
- To assemble each waffle sandwiches, place two hash browns on a plate. Add spinach, a tomato slice, a cube of tofu, two halves of vegan bacon, and a tablespoon (or a slice) of vegan cheese.