Vegan Fall Harvest Sandwich
Tired of having the same PB&J for lunch everyday? Give this Vegan Fall Harvest Sandwich with Dr. Praeger’s Kale Veggie Burgers a try!
Roasted Sweet Potato Rounds
- 1 medium-large sweet potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick rounds (about 1/2 a pound)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 ripe Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or to taste
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Dr. Praeger’s Kale Veggie Burgers
- 8 slices hearty sourdough or multigrain bread, toasted if desired
- Homemade vegan chèvre cheese or store-bought (optional)
- Baby arugula
Serves: 4 sandwiches
Cook time: 50 minutes
For the Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the sweet potato rounds with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Spread the rounds into a single layer across the lined baking tray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender and light golden.
For the Cranberry-Pear Compote
Meanwhile, add the cranberries, pears, maple syrup, water, and cinnamon to a large saucepan. Turn the heat on medium-high and bring to a rapid simmer. Then, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the cranberries burst open and the pears begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool and transfer to a glass jar until ready to assemble the sandwiches.
For the Sandwiches
- Bake the Dr. Praeger’s Kale Veggie Burgers according to package instructions.
- Slather four slices of bread with vegan chèvre (if using). Top each with a veggie burger patty, a few rounds of sweet potato, a spoonful or two of the compote, and a small handful of arugula.
- Top each with the remaining bread slices and serve immediately.
*Leftover compote can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks or frozen for up to 1 month.