Sweet Potato Mac & Cheese
For a crispy topping, crumble Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Hash Browns on top of this creamy mac & cheese!
- Serves 6 (1 serving = 1 1/4 cups macaroni and cheese)
- 1/2 lb. cooked elbow macaroni (about 7 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups 2 % milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 8 Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Hash Browns, defrosted, uncooked and crumbled
- 6 oz. (1 1/2 cups) grated cheddar cheese
- 3 oz. (3/4 cup) grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1 cup whole-grain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spray a 9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine milk, flour, mustard powder, half of cayenne pepper and half of salt in a 4-quart saucepan and whisk until flour is dissolved.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and whisk, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Add Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Hash Browns to mixture and whisk until smooth. Add cheese and stir until melted and mixture has thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pasta to cheese mixture and stir to combine; put into reserved baking dish.
- Combine bread crumbs, olive oil, and remaining salt and cayenne pepper; sprinkle mixture evenly over pasta.
- Bake until bread crumbs are browned and pasta is bubbling, 45 to 50 minutes.