Southwest Hash Browns Breakfast Bowl
For the Quick-Pickled Onions: (makes about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
For the Bowls:
- 4 Dr. Praeger’s Southwest Hash Browns
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium white onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup drained and rinsed, canned black beans
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, plus more to top
- 1/2 cup halved grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and sliced
- 2 large eggs, cooked how you like them
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1/4 cup queso fresca, crumbled
Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Make the quick-pickled onions: In a medium bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar and salt. Add onion and ensure the slices are all covered by the liquid. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Make the bowls: Preheat the oven to 450 F. Place hash browns on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes until browned. Carefully flip and bake an additional 4-5 minutes until browned on the second side.
MeanwhiIe, in a medium skillet over medium heat warm the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onion and cook until tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add the beans, salt, cumin and paprika and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning if you’d like. Fold in the cilantro and set aside.
Assemble each bowl by arranging two hashbrowns, a scoop of beans, spoonful of tomatoes, pickled onions, and avocado slices. Top with fried egg. Repeat with second bowl. Top with salsa verde and a few spoonfuls of queso fresca. Enjoy immediately.