Southwest Breakfast Tacos
For a fun spin on traditional breakfast tacos, add Dr. Praeger’s Southwest Hash Browns!
- 8 Dr. Praeger’s Southwest Hash Browns
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- ¼ teaspoon black salt (gives extra egg-flavor, can use sea salt instead)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 4.5 ounce can green chilis, drained
- 1 cup cooked black beans (drained and rinsed if canned)
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 8 flour tortillas
- Salsa, for serving
- Chopped avocado, for serving
- Hot sauce, for serving
Yields: 8 tacos
Prep Time: 15 mins / Cook Time: 15 mins
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place hash browns on ungreased baking pan. Bake for 5 minutes until browned. Carefully flip and bake an additional 4 minutes, until heated through and well browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the hash browns are cooking, make the tofu scramble. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Crumble the pressed tofu into bite-sized pieces and add to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and turmeric then saute for 3-4 minutes until slightly browned and warmed through.
- Add in the drained green chilis, black beans and spinach until spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Divide the tofu scramble among the tortillas and top each taco with 1 hash brown patty. Top with salsa, chopped avocado, and hot sauce.
Vegan Southwest Breakfast Tacos! Scrambled tofu with green chilis, black beans and spinach. Topped with hash browns, salsa and avocado.