Southern BBQ Tofu Comfort Bowl with Grits & Collard Greens
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained and pressed*
- 1 batch homemade BBQ sauce, or 1 cup store-bought BBQ sauce
- 1 package Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Hash Browns
- 1 cup dry corn grits
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 bunch collard greens, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup pickled onions (optional)
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Chop tofu into 1-inch cubes. Place onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crispy. Place tofu in a large bowl. Add BBQ sauce; stir to coat tofu evenly.
- Increase oven heat to 450F. Prepare Dr. Praeger’s Sweet Potato Hash Browns according to package directions.
- While the tofu and hash browns are baking: in a medium saucepan, add 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Add corn grits; reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5 minutes, stirring. Remove from heat. Add nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper; stir.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add oil or vegan butter. When hot, add collard greens. Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute, making sure not to burn the garlic. Add paprika and liquid smoke; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To arrange bowls, add tofu, sweet potato hash browns, grits, and collard greens. Top with pickled onions, if desired.