Perfect Plant Based Lasagna
Comforting and familiar, with a plant based upgrade, this Perfect Lasagna makes a delicious Sunday evening dinner to share with family and friends — or keep the leftovers all to yourself for a quick weekday lunch!
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 package Dr. Praeger’s Perfect Plant Based Ground, thawed
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. black pepper
½ tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 (28 oz cans) diced tomatoes
Tofu Cashew Cheese Lasagna filling:
1 cup raw cashews
16-ounce block firm tofu, drained
2 lemons, juiced
½ cup nutritional yeast
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 (10-ounce packages) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed to remove excess water
1 package no-boil lasagna noodles
4 cups vegan mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare the sauce: Add olive oil to a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in onion, garlic, Perfect Grounds, sea salt, pepper, and spices. Cook Perfect Grounds for 10-12 minutes, breaking up with a spoon, until browned. Add tomato paste and diced tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook sauce for 10-15 minutes, or until thickened and tomatoes are slightly broken down. Remove from heat.
- Prepare the tofu cashew cheese filling: to a food processor add all ingredients and process for 30-45 seconds, or until mixture is mostly broken down and has a thick, paste-like texture.
- Assemble the lasagna: lightly grease baking dish with olive oil and spread 2 cups tomato sauce on the bottom. Top with a layer of noodles, tofu cashew cheese mixture, spinach, and vegan mozzarella. Repeat layers. Top the lasagna with the remaining sauce and vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Cover lasagna with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and continue to bake lasagna until vegan cheese is lightly browned and bubbly, roughly another 20 minutes.
- Remove lasagna from oven, recover with foil, and let set 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy!