Mediterranean Pita Pockets with Kale Burgers, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Crumbled Tofu Feta
We’re packing these wholesome and filling Mediterranean Pita Pockets with Dr. Praeger’s Kale Veggie Burgers, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and Crumbled Tofu Feta in our lunchbox this week!
- 2 large whole grain pita pockets, cut in half*
- ½ cup roasted red pepper hummus (recipe below) or hummus of choice
- 4 Dr. Praeger’s kale burgers
- 1 cup thinly sliced cucumber rounds
- 2 roasted red bell peppers (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 cups loosely packed, baby arugula
- 1 batch herbed tofu feta(optional)
- Tahini mint dressing or tahini green goddess dressing (optional, for drizzling)
For the roasted red pepper hummus:
- 1¾ cups cooked chickpeas (1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup (about 4 ounces) tightly packed, roasted red bell pepper (homemade or store-bought)
- 5 tablespoons tahini
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt (you may wish to reduce this to ¼ teaspoon if you use store-bought peppers, as they’re often salty on their own)
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 large lemon (about 3 tablespoons, freshly squeezed)
- 3-4 tablespoons water
Time: 20 minutes
- To make the roasted red pepper hummus, place the chickpeas, roasted pepper, tahini, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and lemon juice into a food processor fitted with the S blade. Process the mixture for about a minute. Stop, scrape down the bowl, and continue to process while you drizzle in 3 tablespoons water. Continue processing until the hummus is smooth, adding more water if needed to get a smooth, creamy texture that’s a consistency you like (some people prefer thicker hummus, some people like it to be more loose).
- Cook the Dr. Praeger’s kale burgers as directed. Cut the burgers in half (into 2 half-moon shapes).
- Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus into the bottom of each pita half. Top with the burger halves, a few cucumber slices, half of a roasted red bell pepper, and a handful (loose half cup) arugula. Add a few tablespoons of crumbled, herbed tofu fetato each pita half if you like, along with a drizzle of tahini dressing if desired. Serve.
For a gluten free option, you can substitute a gluten free bread, wrap, or flatbread of choice.
Recipe by The Full Helping