Broccoli Cheddar Beer Soup
upgrade your soup expectations
- 3 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3 Dr. Praeger’s Broccoli Cakes, roughly chopped
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup light beer
- Salt and pepper
- Add 1 tbsp of butter to a large sauce pot over medium heat. When the butter melts, add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the broccoli cakes and cook until they start to fall apart.
- Put the remaining butter and the flour in the pot and cook until butter melts, then pour in 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth. Stir until a thick paste forms, then pour in remaining vegetable broth and milk.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender to blend until soup is smooth, then pour back into the pot.
- Allow the soup to cook over medium-high heat until it thickens, about 15 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Once the soup is thick, stir in the cheese and beer. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with toasted bread.